Village Issues

For the latest information on local issues please also see:

Coronavirus curtails annual village clean up
The ongoing coronavirus crisis has had a huge impact on the UK. In an attempt to manage the threat to public health, lockdown and social distancing have forced the cancellation of numerous public events and the GKRA's own list of events has not escaped these restrictions. Although technology has enabled the committee to meet virtually, and indeed will facilitate this year's AGM (to be held via Zoom), the social events have been laid low. Along with the postponement of the proposed Family Day on the Common and the unfortunate cancellation of the annual fireworks display, one activity that has also been curtailed is the annual village litter pick. This is usually an organised affair, but sadly it has become too difficult to coordinate this year, as a result of trying to maintain social distance and hygiene whilst attempting to protect some of our more vulnerable volunteers. We would, however, like to encourage villagers to pick up and dispose of any litter they might come across, so that Great Kingshill can remain as clean and tidy as possible during these challenging times. Thank you!
Don't be a doggy-do dimwit!
A concerned village resident has highlighted a rather revolting issue created by unthinking dog walkers. Any responsible dog owner realises the importance of picking up after their pet, and although this is not the most enjoyable activity, it is the considerate thing to do.  However, it is becoming abundantly clear that there are some who go to the effort of bagging up Bingo's bounty, only to then fling, sling or bung the dung into the nearest hedgerow or tree, or hang it on a fencepost as a fitting final resting place. This is perhaps even more antisocial than leaving the mess in situ, where it would have degraded over time, as the muck is now preserved for posterity in a plastic bag. It is, of course, best practice to pick up after your pooch, and in some situations, such as on a footpath that runs through a farmer's cattle field, it is absolutely imperative that this is done as dog excrement can have serious health implications for farmyard animals if ingested.

There are several dog waste bins in the village for hygienic waste disposal and, failing that, any normal public litter bin will suffice for putting the poop. So, please, once you've bagged it, bin it!
Parking on pavements - please be considerate! 
A village resident has voiced concern about inconsiderate parking on pavements which is a recurring issue in many places throughout the UK. Whilst parking on the pavement outside of the city of London is not illegal, it can be both inconvenient and often dangerous for pedestrians who find the footpath blocked, sometimes entirely, by someone who has parked in a hurry and without due care and attention for fellow road and pavement users. 
The Highway Code states the following:
244. You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.
Law GL(GP)A sect 15
There are some roads in the village where parking on the pavement is a necessary evil. However, pavement parking can be dangerous on the main routes through the village (e.g. Missenden Road) where it can cause a hazard to pedestrians and other vehicles. If you do find yourself in a situation where you have to park your car on the pavement, please do so in a considerate fashion, allowing enough room for pedestrians to pass by, bearing in mind people with pushchairs or in wheelchairs etc. Pushing the wing mirror in on the pavement side is also a courteous gesture!


Dog owners warned after pets shot for attacking sheep

Now that the weather is more clement and it is pleasant to get out into the country with the dog, as responsible owners it is our duty to keep our animals under control. GKRA have been asked by the local farming community to request that owners think before releasing dogs off the lead on farmland.


This police statement came from the ITV website:

"We are now well into lambing season and we are already starting to have problems with dogs. Farmers are within their rights to shoot dogs worrying sheep on their land. To lose sheep and unborn lambs has a big effect on farmers' livelihoods. To lose a loved pet causes huge upset for dog owners too. All is takes to avoid this distress is to keep dogs on leads and make sure they cannot get out and run loose." PC MIKE BARNETT

Nobody wants to lose a family pet, but this is a possibility if your dog threatens the life of a farm animal and the livelihood of the farmer. Please keep your dog on a lead on farmland.